2013 UK AND IRELAND BANFF MOUNTAIN FILM FESTIVAL WORLD TOUR RETURNS 25 January – 13 April 2013
ARC’TERYX Equipment is proud to present the UK and Ireland Banff Mountain FilmFestival – the world’s most extraordinary collection of adventure, action sports and environmental films in its largest UK tour to date, which now extends to Irish shores. Audiences are set to experience greater adrenaline levels, higher intensity and feel more inspired than any other year.
Following sold-out shows seen by more than 10,000 people across the UK last year, the Banff Mountain Film Festival World Tour is returning in early 2013 with 36 screenings planned across the UK and Ireland with an expected audience figure of over 17,000. The World Tour travels the globe every year visiting more than 390 communities and over 35 different countries, underlining the worldwide popularity of this mind-blowing festival and the action sports it represents.
The Banff Mountain Film Festival World Tour is produced by The Banff Centre, based in the Canadian Rockies, and features award-winning films and audience favourites from over 300 films entered in the annual festival. This year’s festival was held between 27 October and 4 November 2012 and featured an extraordinary range of films.
Arc’teryx are proud to sponsor the event for the first time; “The birthplace of many of our technologies and developments has come from the Vertical world. We build high-end technical products for climbers, mountaineers, skiers and snowboarders and the Banff Mountain Film Festival World Tour is a great fit. World class films from the environment and the people we design for,” commented Jo Salamon, Communications Manager at Arc’teryx.
A selection of the most exhilarating and provocative films from the festival will hit the road this winter and be showcased in theatres across the UK and Ireland. Highlights include:
Crossing the Ice – Two Australians set off across the ice to be the first adventurers to walk from the coastline of Antarctica to the South Pole and back again, unsupported. This epic expedition is an immensely emotional and physical struggle for the duo and concludes with an incredibly surprising and deeply moving twist.
WideBoyz – American off-width crack climbing has spawned a counter-culture of rough and tumble characters who aren’t afraid to bleed their way up a route. Two proper British lads, Tom Randall and Pete Whittaker, crossed the Atlantic to test themselves on some of the gnarliest wide cracks in the US, including the first ascent of the world’s hardest off-width known as Century Crack. Their stunning success shocked both themselves and the American climbing world.
The UK and Ireland Tour is so much more than a film night (albeit with incredible films). The events are festive, social evenings where outdoor adventure lovers from all backgrounds (and ages) come together to celebrate mountain culture through inspirational short films. Audiences also have a chance to win some great prizes.
UK and Ireland 2013 Tour dates are as follows:
• 25 January Forum Theatre, Malvern
• 26 January The Hall Venue Cymru, Llandudno
• 30 January Mitchell Library Theatre, Glasgow
• 31 January Eden Court Theatre, Inverness
• 1 February The Queen’s Hall, Edinburgh
• 2 February The Playhouse, Whitley Bay/Newcastle
• 6 – 7 February The Carriageworks, Leeds
• 8 February Theatre by the Lake, Keswick
• 9 February The Crescent Theatre, Birmingham
• 13 February Gelbunkian Theatre, Canterbury
• 15 February Komedia, Bath
• 16 February Lighthouse Theatre, Poole
• 21 February- 1 March Union Chapel, London
• 2 March The Plaza, Stockport
• 7 March The Grand Pavilion, Porthcawl/Bridgend
• 8 March The Ffwrnes, Llanelli
• 9 March Corn Exchange, Brighton
• 14 March Dorking Halls, Dorking
• 15 March Gatehouse Theatre, Stafford
• 16 March Plaza Cinema, Liverpool
• 20 March OPEN,Norwich
• 21 March City Hall, Salisbury
• 22 March Corn Exchange, Exeter
• 23 March Victoria Rooms, Bristol
• 5 April Hall for Cornwall, Truro
• 10 April Devere Hall, Cork
• 11 April The Set, Kilkenny
• 13 April Waterfront, Belfast
The World Tour attracts a wide range of people from all over the globe. From people who love to climb mountains or whiz down them at high speeds strapped to a parachute or set of skis; to those who are happy to enjoy these activities from the comfort of their armchairs.
ARC’TERYX is the Presenting Partner of the 2013 UK and Ireland Banff Mountain Film Festival World Tour. Principal partners of the Tour are: Cotswold Outdoor, Buff, Keen and Patagonia and supporting partners are: Sea to Summit, World Expeditions and Clif Bar.
For Banff Mountain Film Festival World Tour tickets and information go to www.Banff-uk.com.